How To Get Divorced In Atlanta, Georgia – Pt 10

Final Judgment and Decree and After

Divorce-Attorney-Angela-KinleyIf the case is resolved by agreement, most judges will allow the parties or their attorneys to file a motion for judgment on the pleadings and the divorce is granted without the need to appear in court. There are some courts that still require an appearance to prior to granting the final decree. Once the final decree is granted, either on the pleadings or after a hearing, the settlement agreement (or court order) is a binding obligation on each party and failure to comply with the terms of the agreement (or order) can result in the filing of a petition for contempt. If a party is found to have violated the agreement (or order), the court can sanction the party by placing him or her in jail and/or ordering payment of attorney’s fees.

Full article available at

Contact us today to find out more about your rights!

The Law Office of Angela M. Kinley serves clients throughout the North Metro region of Atlanta. We practice in courts throughout Gwinnett County, Dekalb County, Fulton County, Walton County, Barrow County, Jackson County, Rabun County, Hall County and Clarke County, including the cities of Atlanta, Duluth, Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Norcross, Lilburn, Loganville, Monroe, Braselton, Jefferson, Clayton, Gainesville, Athens, Oakwood, Winder and John’s Creek.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *